What’s the Minimum Auto Insurance Required in Illinois?

Are you a new driver, or have you recently moved to Illinois and want to know what’s required to drive your vehicle on the roads? Then you’ll need to learn about the minimum auto insurance requirements of the state. Talk to an insurance agent at Green Family Insurance Inc. of Illinois to determine what should be your next step. 

Get an Auto Insurance Policy 

You’ll need to obtain insurance coverage from an insurance company or independent agency. The minimum required automobile insurance in Illinois is liability coverage. This protects you in the instance you cause an accident and damage someone’s property and/or hurt them. Note that you won’t have coverage for yourself and your own vehicle with this type of policy. 

Parts of Liability Coverage 

There are two parts when it comes to auto liability coverage – bodily injury and property damage liability. With bodily injury, there is a minimum coverage amount in place for each injured person and each accident. With property damage, there’s also a certain minimum coverage amount for damage during each accident. You might also have coverage for bodily injury to uninsured motorists. Be sure to find out if the agency offers this and if it’s recommended for you.

Carry Proof

When you have auto insurance, you must carry proof in your vehicle. A law officer may ask to see this at some point, and you also need to have registration available to show them. 

Don’t let auto insurance become a hassle. Set up an appointment to sit down and discuss policy options with an agent at Green Family Insurance Inc. of Illinois, and you’ll be pleased with the results.