When Do Homeowners Need Flood Insurance?

Flood insurance isn’t something that every homeowner in Illinois needs, but it’s essential to have the coverage if your house requires it. Standard homeowners’ policies normally don’t cover flooding. Here’s when homeowners typically need a flood insurance policy.

Living in a High-Risk Flood Zone

The most obvious time when flood insurance is essential is when you live in an area designated as a high-risk flood zone. These zones are identified by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and are areas where floods occur most often (and often most severely). 

FEMA publishes maps that show what parts of Illinois are in a high-risk zone. We at Green Family Insurance Inc. can help you check these maps to see if you’re in a zone deemed high-risk. If you are in a high-risk zone, certainly consider getting a flood policy.

Having a Mortgage from a Federally Regulated Lender

If your home is in a high-risk flood zone and you have a mortgage from a federally regulated or insured lender, you’re probably required by law to have flood insurance. This requirement helps protect the investment of both the homeowner and the lender. 

After Experiencing a Flood

Even if you’re not in a designated high-risk area, your house could still flood. If you’ve gone through a minor flood, or if you just want extra protection, flood insurance could help you should a bigger flood ever occur.

Green Family Insurance Inc Is Here To Help

If you have a house in Illinois, contact us at Green Family Insurance Inc. One of our knowledgeable agents can work with you to assess whether flood insurance is required and get you a policy should you need or want one.